RARA-AVIS: mccarthy's blood meridian

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 01 Apr 2002

hi everybody!

i was jealous of rene when he said he found good books at the thrift stores his wife liked to look thru. when i tried it, all i found was harlequin romances and hi-tech war thrillers. not for me.

well, i was down in florida and the wife had to check a place out and i went in and found mccarthy's
_blood meridian_. i'd never heard of him, but the description on the back sounded pretty good.

i'm not quite thru it, but its been interesting. bloody and brutal and cold. noir western, i guess. it reminds me of conrad's _heart or darkness_, or more accurately, coppola's movie adaptation, apoc- alypse now. not surprising. the theme seems the same to me. by shirking almost every type of moral responsibility, is the philosopher/killer descending into hell, damnation, and insanity, or is he shedding his mortal skin and ascending to godhead? hmm... got me. you choose. and speaking of shedding mortal skin, there's a heck of a lot of that in the book, too, and we ain't talking figuratively, either. ;-)

the style is interesting... florid and eloquent. the term "contrived" could be leveled at it, but i thought it provided an effective contrast to the actual content. irony thru style, maybe.

based on a true story of a band of scalphunters hired by the mexican governor in chihauhau to clean up the "indian problem", the book contains a delight- ful collection of flora, like the dead baby tree, and fauna, like the idiot with very questionable dietary preferences.

miker