RARA-AVIS: a look back

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 27 Mar 2002

For those worried that characters who appeared in older, historically significant works will not be given their due, I will remind them that these were the top ten authors when I ran the 'blown away' survey a few years ago:

1. Chandler - 28 2. Hammett - 25 3. Ellroy - 16 4. Thompson - 15 5. MacDonald, Ross- 13 6. Crumley - 11 7. Willeford - 11 8. Westlake/Stark - 10 9. Cain, James - 9 10. Connelly, Mike - 7

Only four of these authors are still alive, and I doubt anyone would argue that Ellroy, Crumley or Westlake don't belong among those who are contributed greatly to hard boiled literature. Connelly has not been writing hard boiled fiction nearly as long as the other four so it may be difficult to judge him now. Mark