RARA-AVIS: Nomination # 397 (approx)

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 25 Mar 2002

I thought I'd squeeze one more nomination in: Private Ray Elwood from Robert O'Connor's BUFFALO SOLDIERS. I understand a major film is being made of BUFFALO SOLDIERS - anyone who hasn't read it should go out & read it, like yesterday, because if you're anything like me you'd rather read the book before seeing the movie because the book is a definite must-read & you don't want to spoil the experience by knowing the story in advance. Perhaps because there is a smaller investment, time-wise, in watching a movie it doesn't seem as much of a problem if I know the story by way of reading the book. (This is without going into the issue of how closely the movie follows the book. I do hope that in this instance it's handled well, without any of the popular Hollywood cop-outs, i.e. tacked-on love interest & happy ending).

Rene