Re: RARA-AVIS: Lithuanian Pulps

From: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com
Date: 21 Mar 2002

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 04:57:12 -0800 (PST) Bludis Jack < buildsnburns@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just because a country is small, it doesn't mean
they don't have printed material.

> A friend of mine told me that her quickest pay
for reprints came from Lithuania.

Well, sure. But the Soviets were never known for being open to original thinkers, and while there is the rare exception of mysteries and thrillers being published in the USSR and the Eastern Bloc countries post-WW2 and pre-1990s, there aren't many--the Soviet novel that features a Russian super-agent foiling James Bond, the few East German pulps from the 1950s, but not a whole lot others that I know of. There were certainly samizdat reprints of Western material, and lots of unauthorized, underground pastiches, like the endless Tarzan spin-offs and the many Gone With The Wind "sequels," but--as far as I know--not a whole lot published with the imprimatur of the state.

If I'm wrong, of course, I'd love to know about it, especially if you can give me the names of books or articles on the subject.

jess