RARA-AVIS: noir, noir, everywhere

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 21 Mar 2002

hi everybody!

i was watching a movie last night with kevin costner playing a navy guy and, although i didn't catch the name of the movie and had to turn it off cuz it got past my bedtime, i thought i heard the comment during a pause that the movie was an adaptation of a book called _the big clock_. that sorta got the wheels spinning and when i got up this morning i got my new and unread 30's and 40's noir book and indeed it had kenneth fearing's _big clock_ in it. for a moment i was disappointed that now i knew the plot, but then i had to smile. movies oftentime have such a different plot that they don't ruin the book at all.

it appears to me that there's a standard phenomena that occurs in "mainstream" movie adaptations of noir books. it seems that a lot of the noir leaks out. ;-)

miker