RE: RARA-AVIS: List of 100 Best hard boiled characters of the las t 100 years

From: Anderson, Erick (ETW) ( Erick.Anderson@nike.com)
Date: 20 Mar 2002

Mark (He may be a blumenidiot, but he's not so dumb) wrote:

How about a Hard-boiled 100?

---

Here's a status report on the brush fire:

Section one, Nominations to Date. I've excluded seconds; I think for the ease of bookkeeping, it's a good idea to vote on all the nominees at the end. Can those who've made nominations go back through this and add author and book or series? Thanks.

Section Two, Rules to Date. Let me know if these seem complete, or if you have any additions or clarifications. Also, suggestions re: ranking rules.

Section Three, FAQs. Can someone opine on the Anglo/non-Anglo question or second mine?

There you have it.

Best Regards, Erick

NOMINATIONS TO DATE

The Op, Parker, Hoke Mosely, Matt Helm, Doc McCoy Philip Marlowe Spade, Bond, Harry Bosch, Matt Scudder, Easy Rawlins, Tom Ripley, Lou Ford, Frank Mansfield, (Cockfighter), Richard Hudson, (Woman Chaser), Kells, (Paul Cain, Fast One), Keller, Fast Eddie Felson, Coffin Ed, Grave Digger, Elvis Cole,(Robert Crais), Travis McGee, (John D McDonald, series), Michael Schaefer, (Thomas Perry, Butcher's Boy, Sleeping Dogs), Mitch Tobin, (Donald Westlake (writing as Tucker Coe)), Hap Collins, Leonard Pine, Donald Robak, (Joe L. Hensley, series), Dan Turner (Hollywood Detective, Spicy Pulp), Parker, (Stark), Abraham Trahearne, (Crumley), Richard Wentworth, aka The Spider (series), Mouse, (Walter Mosley, series) Jane Whitfield, (Tom Perry, series), Bob the Nailer, (Stephen Hunter) Earl Swagger, (Stephen Hunter) Mike Hammer Rebus, (Ian Rankin) Arkady,

RULES TO DATE

1. This'll be fun. 2. A character has to be seconded by someone else on the list. 3. Someone better start counting. 4. Propose a time line for generating the list. 5. Publish some ranking rules. 6. Do a big press release at the end, so the world will know what the avians think. 7. If you nominate somebody you have to include the author and/or the name of the book, or if the character is in more than one book, the series. 8. As to timing: let's say nominations until the end of the month (March). 9. Compile the list and confirm that nominations were received; take seconds at that time and confirm that all else is true and correct. 10. Make an announcement and release the list May 1. That would give everyone time to make sure the list is complete, and that everyone is as happy with it as we're likely to get. 11. We should all vote.

FAQs TO DATE

Q: Most people are restricting their choices to series characters. Is that a rule? A: No.

Q: Do we have a right to include non-Anglo characters? A: [Unanswered at present. Opinions, anyone? Non-anglo characters who have been translated into English acceptable?]