RARA-AVIS: RARA-AVIS list of 100 Best hard boiled characters of the last 100 years

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 20 Mar 2002

John Lau:

> In a message dated 3/19/02 7:45:43 PM, blumenidiot@21stcentury.net writes:
>
> << How about a hard boiled 100? I'll start it off by nominating the Op,
> Parker, Hoke Mosely, Matt Helm and Doc McCoy as well as Marlowe, Spade
and
> Bond. >>
>
> this'll be fun. I think in order to make the "HBC", a character has to be
> seconded by someone else on the list. yours are easy. seconded.
>
> I nominate Harry Bosch, Matt Scudder and Easy Rawlins.
>
> someone better start counting.

I'm pretty busy right now so would have to keep the emails but I won't have time to collate anything for at least a week, but I'll be willing to keep track if nobody else volunteers since I suggested it
. I'll second the nomineees above and nominate Elvis Cole,(Robert Crais) Travis McGee, (John D McDonald) and Michael Schaefer. (Thomas Perrry's Butcher's Boy and Sleeping Dogs), Mitch Tobin(Westlake writing as Tucker Coe.)

A ground rule that I think is needed: If you nominate somebody you have to include the author and/or the name of the book, or if the character is more than one book, the series.

If I wind up doing it, I'd only want nominees initially. I would then produce a list to be voted on so people should not suggest someone who already has already been nominated as of now. Mark