Re: RARA-AVIS: NPR's 100 Best Fictional Characters since 1900

From: Ray Skirsky ( rskirsky@qualcomm.com)
Date: 19 Mar 2002

At 08:22 PM 3/19/2002 +0600, you wrote:
>In case you don't want to look at the whole list, here are some of the ones
>you might be interested in:
>
>#6 Sherlock Holmes
>#18 George Smiley
>#25 Philip Marlowe
>#42 Sam Spade
>#60 Tom Ripley
>#65 Nick and Nora Charles
>#66 James Bond

Sherlock Holmes should be disqualified, since he was a well established character before 1900, if not, then Ayesha (She Who Must Be Obeyed) should be on the list as well. Tarzan should be much higher than #79, probably in the top 10. What about Conan? Okay, you can leave him off.

If Maturin is on the list, Hornblower should be as well. Nero Wolfe is the most glaring omission that I can see--or not see. How about Gandalf? Well...maybe.

Ray