Re: RARA-AVIS: joe btfsplk

From: Thomas Bauduret ( suspiria@club-internet.fr)
Date: 19 Mar 2002

> If you consider Li'l Abner contributed to noir with the introduction of Joe
> Btfsplk and shmoos, hard boiled with Fearless Fosdick and Lower
> Slobbovia--what environment is more hard boiled than that--fantasy/horror
> with Evil Eye Fliegel, and women's lib with Sadie Hawkins' Day, the early
> strip seems essential to many genres.

You won't find an argument here ! I have a hard time putting it all in perspective, but I guess it was pretty much ground-breaking for its time. Actually I heard Lil'Abner was created after a survey amongst teenage girl who defined their ideal man : they all described how he would look ‹ but none of them ever mentioned intelligence ! Maybe it's another urban legend, huh ? Sadie Hawkins' Day ? Is it true it still is celebrated in some places in the US ? (I'm all for itŠ Maybe it's my Gallic side speakingŠ Pepe Le Pew, eat your heart out ! :)))

T.

"Le cin魡 de B ࠚ"Š

http://vsolutions.free.fr/anews.php3 Any Other Solutions : Nick Cave, :Wumpscut:, Elysian Fields, Depeche Mode, The Cure, Jack The Ripper, Sparklehorse, Deine Lakaien,Peter Gabriel, The Sisters of Mercy, VNV Nation, Icon of Coil, Das Ich, Radiohead, Assemblage 23, CopenhagenŠ