Re: RARA-AVIS: joe btfsplk

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 19 Mar 2002

Thomas Bauduret:
.

> Nope, I guess I just put a note inside, calling it a comics character from
> Lil'Abner or something. You know, us translators are supposed to avoir
> footnotesS
> I guess I read only the early stages of Lil'Abner, but quite enjoyed it,
as
> well as the original Popeye < though there are things lost in
translations.

If you consider Li'l Abner contributed to noir with the introduction of Joe Btfsplk and shmoos, hard boiled with Fearless Fosdick and Lower Slobbovia--what environment is more hard boiled than that--fantasy/horror with Evil Eye Fliegel, and women's lib with Sadie Hawkins' Day, the early strip seems essential to many genres. Mark