RARA-AVIS: Goodis--Shoot the Piano Player (Down There)

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 18 Mar 2002

The list also recommended the above. The first paragraph:
    There were no street lamps, no lights at all. It was a narrow street in the Port Richmond section of Philadelphia. From the nearby Delaware a cold wind came lancing in, telling all alley cats they'd better find a heated cellar.

So I was trying to figure out what block this would be and decided it must have been paved over when I-95 was built from Maine to Center City and from South Philadelphia to Florida. The Reading RR yards run along the river from Fishtown north, and then were those hundreds, maybe thousands, of rowhouses that were demolished for more efficient trucking and drug muling. Now there's nowhere to feel wind from the Delaware, unless you go to one of the piers on the other side of I-95--the pier for the fireboats that has some park benches or the Tioga Terminal, where you can turn a corner and suddenly face a ship the size of City Hall a few feet away. North of there is Bridesburg.
    I could write an even longer footnote about the alley cats of Port Richmond. This book is going to be a foot thick when I get done with my commentary.

Joy, who thanks you for the recommendation