Re: RARA-AVIS: Pelecanos in LA; Shame the Devil

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 15 Mar 2002

 Mark said he's going to:
> fire some tough questions. I'm gleaning the lists to come up with some new
> ones. Any suggestions?

Well, with the encouragement of this list, I read _Shame the Devil_ while I had no e-mail for 2 weeks. The beginning is one of those terrible setups where he introduces a bunch of likable people who are doomed. It was so well written that I kept on reading anyway.
    I like the mean streets and the real people, and I want to read the rest of his ouvre. So question #1: Given that I noticed mention of names in this book that, according to the reviews, seem to be protagonists in his new book, should I start at the beginning of his writings and read forward, or is any old order just fine?
    #2: There's one paragraph in this book that's utter nonsense, total baloney, and I have anecdotes to prove it. Anybody else know which one I mean?

Joy