RE: RARA-AVIS: model of masculinity, chandler, hemingway

From: Anderson, Erick (ETW) ( Erick.Anderson@nike.com)
Date: 15 Mar 2002

> Graham wrote:
>
> It seems to me that Chandler and Hemingway have there greatest effect on
> those who pick them up in their teenage years, especially young men
> (certainly true of me). I wonder if that's because the characters of both
>
> writers seem lonely and aloof, but provide an alternate model of
> masculinity
> that appeals to bookish youngsters. Any thoughts?

------

I certainly believe this is true. Especially Chandler's characters (for me) offered not only a model of masculinity, but also a model of an ethical code by which they lived that was predictable, unchangeable and righteous. I probably should have gotten more of that from a place of worship or religion or my parents, but I didn't, at least not to the extent that I did from popular culture, including Chandler, Fleming, Hemingway, and Bogart and Bond movies, among others (Fred Astaire was an early hero, as well). They were my mentors in a distance learning experience. Good thing I didn't start reading Thompson, et.al. 'til later ;-)

Best Regards, Erick