RE: RARA-AVIS: Papa -- To Have and Have Not

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 15 Mar 2002

Jack Bludis said: Just a personal opinion: I think "To Have and Have Not" was one of the worst novels Hemingway ever wrote--hardboiled or not. I still think his best was "The Sun Also Rises," which was also his first.

i'd say most of the critics are with you on this, too. in my mind, all of his other books dealt with personal issues, but _to have_ attempted to widen its scope into political and socio-economic issues. it made the book awkward and uneven. and this is in addition to other difficulties the book had.

_the sun also rises_ is simply spectacular.

miker