RARA-AVIS: Why vs Why not?

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 13 Mar 2002

In a message dated 3/13/02 12:20:16 PM, pruettc@hotmail.com writes:

<< Now, we're talking about "why" motives vs. "why not" motives. "Horny" is always gonna be a "why" motive; Chambers gives into his because his scruples
(the "why not") are almost nonexistent. Spade on the other hand has some damn strong "why not" motives (his "code," however eccentric, his sense of his own integrity, vengeance for his partner, justice), that doesn't mean his "why" motive was any less, it just means Spade had more of a conflict. >>

Maybe I'm just projecting here, but I think it's quite possible that Chambers is so damn horny that no matter his 'why not motives', he did the whole thing gladly. And if Spade was that fucking horny, code be damned, he'd be all over Bridgette like a cheap suit.

John Lau