RARA-AVIS: Postman

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 13 Mar 2002

<< I suppose one could argue that the difference between Chambers and Marlowe or Spade is chiefly that Chambers is a lot dumber >>

>Chambers is also a lot hornier, and a helluva lot less ethical.
>John Lau

definitely hornier than Marlowe. Dunno about Spade, but at least Spade has more self control. I'm with you on the ethics, though Spade's are of a peculiar species. Chambers is almost a primitive creature to whom the whole concept of ethics would be foreign.

SPOILER for "Postman always rings twice"

I just read the scene where Chambers is at the Greek's funeral, and he comments that he starts crying because the hymns always get to him, especially when he liked the deceased as much as he liked the Greek. I can't decide how much irony is going here - is Chambers saying that this is what he wants people to think or that he really DID like the Greek. He certainly doesn't seem to have had much against him, personally, except wanting his wife.

Definitely a different kind of "hero"; not sure what to compare it to, but I'm digging the book.

Carrie