Re: RARA-AVIS: O'Connor quickly and films

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 13 Mar 2002

classic film noirs, both adapted from print material,
> that seem to be making the rounds. Well worth getting out for: "Night
of the
> Hunter," and less well-known, "Nightmare Alley" (with Tyrone Power, a
> carny-con man story).

Great movies & the books are great too. When I read the book - some years ago now - I was struck by how closely the movie was modelled on it. Many of the most striking things about the movie - including imagery
& all the fairy-tale - are actually in the book. which is not to take anything away from the movie, the only film directed by actor Charles Laughton. The novel of Nightmare Alley by William Lindsay Gresham is one of the seminal noir books, IMO, & I should think a lot of other people.( By the way, Gresham's ex-wife, IIRC, went on to have a Platonic affair with author C S Lewis of Narnia books fame. They made a movie about the romance a few years ago, title escapes me). Oh, Night of the Hunter was written by Davis Grubb.

Rene