Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: poppa and pauline

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 13 Mar 2002

> The other way around, I think, if we're talking cause and effect. But
> agree, with Chandler and Hammet the question as to whether the femmes
will
> crack the dicks' noble codes provides dramatic tension.
>
> Kerry

But surely you never seriously think that Marlowe, as probably the best example, is going to do the wrong thing just because he has a yen for one of the generally vain, shallow & murderous femme fatales? Quite aside from the fact that Marlowe seems to have a practically non-existent sex drive he's far too (self)righteous. And Spade may act cynical & he may in all other respects be cynical but he takes his work very seriously.Far more seriously than sentiment.Or romance.

Rene