Re: RARA-AVIS: poppa and pauline

From: Buzz ( BuzzMeeks@attbi.com)
Date: 11 Mar 2002

 & of course, I need to
> read his hardboiled shorts such as "The Killers" (one of the great film
> noirs although liberties may have been taken with original source
> material).

As I recall, Hemingway's "The Killers" bears little resemblance to the movie, acting as little more than prologue. In the book, it's all about the waiting, knowing the killers are coming and not doing a damn thing about it. In the movie, it's all backstory and told almost completely in flashback. Still a classic though. In the mid sixties, there was a remake with Lee Marvin, John Casavettes and Ronald Reagan, directed by Don Siegel of Dirty Harry fame.

Brad