RARA-AVIS: spoilers and O'connor

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 11 Mar 2002

I agree that the endings to short stories should not be posted w/o spoiler warnings but did want to comment that, when O'Connor used to read the story she would "give away" the ending first. She was adamant that a "surprise" ending needed to work dramatically even if it wasn't a surprise. I've personally never been a big fan of the "twist at the end" approach, though I like O'Connor and think she transcends this - maybe because she realized the
"twist" was not the point. I'm also fond of certain movies with famously twisty endings, but don't count on me to be consistent. I generally prefer, though, the "twist" to come toward the middle so that the characters have enough time to deal with the implications.

Carrie

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx