RARA-AVIS: poppa and pauline

From: Robison Michael R CNIN ( Robison_M@crane.navy.mil)
Date: 11 Mar 2002

doug said:
>Hemingway? I've read him, and to this day I can't grasp
>why people rank him among the 20th century's literary
>heavyweights.

there's plenty of literary commentary out there that explains why he is one of the greats if you are interested
(you aren't). i could tell you why. i won't. if his writing doesn't appeal to you, then i'd be wasting my time.

ahhh! a perfect place for the ubiquitous, "if i have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand." ;-)

but there's not really any significant issue here. like someone stated earlier... there's no shortage of books out there to read, and life's too damn short to waste reading books you don't like.

HOWEVER, i can think of something significant concerning hemingway. in a couple weeks i'll be down there in key west where he lived with pauline for several years after coming back from europe and dumping sweet hadley's butt. the house is a tourist attraction and inhabited by descendants of the six-toed cats that hem and pauline kept.

miker