Re: RARA-AVIS: Shame the Devil

From: Keith Logan ( keith@globetrotter.net)
Date: 10 Mar 2002

>This is my first Pelecanos and I
>must say I am disappointed so far. The book is fast paced at first but then
>slows down in endless getting to know different characters.

While I have enjoyed many of GP's efforts, I also was underwhelmed by SHAME THE DEVIL. The pacing does slow down after the initial gangbusters opening, and I think [after having read the book] GP presents the characters and goes into so much getting-to-know-them because of a particular plot twist that I cannot mention since it would spoil things. And this device did not quite work for me, as it felt like a let-down, a one trick pony that didn't perform.

I was also disappointed that Marcus Clay doesn't truly appear in this one, as I like his character better than Karras. I just got back from Montreal where I picked up RIGHT AS RAIN, and it vaulted to the top of the pile so I am a GP fan. Hopefully I'll be able to rtecommend this one to ya!

Keith Logan