RE: RARA-AVIS: Shame the Devil

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 09 Mar 2002

Anthony wrote:

"It's purely an arbitrary and objective concept. It would be so much easier if it was subjective, but that's never going to be so. And yeah, I know there's a lot of literary terms we can blow up each others' ass to make it should all scientific too. But the song remains the same."

While I tend to agree with the underlying notion here that art criticism is largely an exercise in rationalizing personal gut reactions, haven't subjective and objective been reversed here? How can something be both arbitrary and objective?

Mark