Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Dr. Smith

From: WordRunner@aol.com
Date: 09 Mar 2002

In a message dated 3/9/02 4:14:12 PM, blumenidiot@21stcentury.net writes:

<< he writes about things that he is very knowledgeable and interested in like modern music or cars which I don't really care about. Even though a reference may be very obscure, he includes it to satisfy himself because he feels it will add something to the understanding of a character's personality. . >>

    I said earlier that I had quibbles with George P, and this is one of them. I think that the overlisting and reiteration (I know it is post modern mantra to do so, but I don't care) of song titles, rock groups, the sizes of restaurant checks, and bar tips, etc., is distracting and too much author showoff stuff. He's so good that it makes me grind my teeth every time I find him being an auteur. However, I believe this stuff appears with less frequency and is less intrusive in his more recent work, so either he is toning it down or I'm getting immune to the problem.

                                        Jim Blue