RARA-AVIS: Dr. Neil/shame the devil

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 09 Mar 2002

Congrats on the defense, Neil, I was meaning to ask you about that. Why do I have this image of Shorty in that second, really bad Indiana Jones movie saying "YOU call HIM Doctah Jones" (Smith, Jones, whatever ;))

As for Shame the Devil, I don't agree about implausible plotting or bad characterization at all though I would say it's not the best place to start in Pelecanos because characters from two different series converge.

I just got "Right as Rain" in paperback and read the first two chapters this morning. The first paragraph alone is absolutely classic; this has to go down with my alltime favorite PI novel openings. I'm also imagining Derek Strange as Homicide's Clark Johnson, maybe aged a little bit (I'm not sure how old Derek is supposed to be yet -), so that adds to the enjoyment.

anyway, since RAR is the beginning of a new series, it might be a good idea to start with this one and, if you like it, look into the backlist. Just a suggestion :)

Carrie