RARA-AVIS: Hell to Pay/Dogfights

From: Larson, Craig ( Craig.Larson@tsjc.cccoes.edu)
Date: 08 Mar 2002

Maybe I didn't quite get across what I was thinking in my comment the other day, regarding the character with the dog in George Pelecanos'
_Hell to Pay_. Sure, training your dog to take part in a dogfight is pretty hard, but in the scheme of the book, the character's love for his dog, and his despair when the dog loses and one of his pals summarily executes it, does do something to humanize him. This is, after all, the hard-edged street as imagined by George Pelecanos. I'd never want to meet any of these characters myself--I was just trying to get across the idea that they are pretty scary, yet also believable and realistic--not some cookie-cutter psychos, but individuals.

Craig Larson Trinidad, CO