RARA-AVIS: To Live & Die in LA adaptation

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 25 Feb 2002

The universe moves in mysterious ways ... It seems that Kwan Yin, in her infinite wisdom & mercy saw fit to compensate me for postponing the weekend viewing of "The Cockfighter" by having a nice "double" (on separate channels) of excellent film adaptations of a couple of modern HB novels on free to air television (you're lucky to get 2 good flix a month usually) - "Out of Sight" & "To Live and Die in L A". I've seen them both before but the latter not for many years. I've previously dissed Soderbergh's films here but this one I do like. Nice one.
"To Live & Die in L A" - at least as good as I remembered it, if one forgets the godawful soundtrack music provided by Wang Chung. Dated 2 years before they recorded it & it always sounded like crap, IMO. I seem to recall some dissatisfaction in some quarters about this adaptation not being that faithful to the book but I noticed that Gerald Petievich had co-written the screenplay with William Friedkin. If you haven't seen it, check it out. I haven't managed to get hold of the original novel yet but it's one to look forward to. Does anyone know what Petievich is up to these days? I haven't read anything that recent by him.

Rene