Re: RARA-AVIS: noir thoughts

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 22 Feb 2002

> >brad said:
> > I just bought a second hand copy of Hard Feelings over the internet
and
> > received it the other day. Inside was this helpful little note from
the
> > seller:
> >
> > "Probably the worst book ever written. Thanks for getting it out of
my
> > apartment."
> >
> > Go figure.
>
> go figure?
>
> well, if its anything like thompson's _killer inside me_ noir, my
guess
> would be characters that he couldn't give a damn about and a
depressing
> ending that's no different than what's in the newspapers daily.
>
> is noir really that profound or impressive or artistic? couldn't one
just
> as easily stick one's head up his ass and wax poetically about the
dark?
> ;-)
>
> miker

Is noir impressive or artistic? Not intrinsically. It's the artist & the work, not the genre that gives it any value it may have. A bad noir is just a bad book, period, & vice versa. The idea that noir & newspapers are interchangeable on the basis that some people find both depressing doesn't make much sense to me, I'm afraid. Although I've never tried sticking my head up my arse (ass) I very much doubt that it would give me the same stimulation that I get from a great book, even one that isn't about nice people who have a nice time & end up even happier at the end of the book :-)
(& even though I often find the news depressing - unlike most Thompson novels - I still like to keep up with it. I like to know what's going on
& it seems to me that ignoring reality is a much closer analogy to sticking one's head up one's arse than actually looking at reality head-on).

Rene