RARA-AVIS: The Gores-y Details

From: Bill Bowers ( BBowers@one.net)
Date: 21 Feb 2002

Back on Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Rene wrote:

>(Although Joe
>Gores' "Hammett" was OK, not as good as other stuff of his, IMO. The Wim
>Wenders movie adaptation with Frederick Forrest was rather ordinary.)

As is not uncommon, I'm playing catch-up, so someone else may have mentioned it, but in the edition of that Gores novel I have (unfortunately inaccessible at the moment), he has a fascinating Introduction involving all that it took to get that movie -- including a phenomenal number of screenplays, by Gores and others -- made!

I'm as much fascinated by behind-the-scenes stuff such as this as, far too often, I am the works of fiction themselves....

[I have a friend -- a pro in an entirely different genre -- who told me a couple of years back that, between options and the screenplays he'd written, and/or doctored, he had made a quarter of a million dollars of Hollywood money off one of his novels. He had no reason to exaggerate; but I'm not sure how serious he was, when at the same time he said he was to the point that he was hoping that the movie _wouldn't_ be made. So far he seems to have gotten his wish.]

(And, yes, I have the Goldman books.)

---
Bill Bowers