Re: RARA-AVIS: Getaway last line

From: Paul Miller ( phm@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2002

Erick wrote: I much prefer the lingering question of what was meant, and I think it has a stronger and longer lasting impact.

I still have the lingering question as well. I was just having fun speculating on what he possibly might have meant. Thompson wrote unique hard bitten prose and he rushed alot of his endings as the pay check loomed closer. Sometimes this worked as in Getaway and not sometimes as in Hell of a Woman which was well written, yet the rushed experimental ending was like a wierd slap in the face.
 Just as an aside the movie From Dusk to Dawn mentions El Rey at least a dozen times but it is a poor movie. Steve McQueen and Ali Macgraw make a good Doc and Carol in Peckinpah's film Getaway. The movie is quite different from the book however.

Paul Miller