Re: RARA-AVIS: Getaway last line

From: Paul Miller ( phm@midsouth.rr.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2002

Jim Blue wrote: the only
"getaway" left for either of them is the eventual escape (from their lives and from "El Rey's dominion") into a grave.

Yes that makes sense. I didn't know if he was talking about a getaway from El Rey as in an escape from there or a victory getaway from Carol in having her killed so he would have more money to live longer.
 I have read that Thompson starved himself to death after a stroke left him bed bound and blind unable to write. This made me think of the eventual fate of the denizens of El Rey, starvation when their money ran out. To what extint was Thompson's vision of El Rey a comment on capitalism in the USA or was it at all? I know some readers don't like the last chapter but for me this makes it more than just an hard boiled noir action tale, it makes it a moral and ethical tale as well. Doc and Carol have made their bed with the lives they have led and now they have to lie in it. As far as El Rey I think Thompson is saying this is what capitalism would look like if you took away our moral and ethical restraints and this is what the people are like without morality.

Paul Miller