Re: RARA-AVIS: dissing vachss

From: Graham Powell ( bleekerbooks@hotmail.com)
Date: 19 Feb 2002

>From: WordRunner@aol.com
>With JDM I never had the feeling that his politics got in the way of his
>characters or his stories, but I can't say the same for Andrew. His work
>has
>been devoured by his messages.

If I'm not mistaken the message is THE ENTIRE reason he started writing in the first place. According to what he's said, he's basically using the Burke books as propaganda; they're only useful to him if they succeed on that level, regardless of their literary merits. I guess on some level he has to see himself as an author, turning out quality stuff, but the message IS the work.

Graham
----------- http://www.BleekerBooks.com Hardboiled and Noir