Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler-Browne-Latimer-Canada

From: ksm ( outpost@entirety.ca)
Date: 18 Feb 2002

hello all,

i'm fairly new here but enjoying all your posts!

----- Original Message ----- From: < Mbdlevin@aol.com> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2002 9:02 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Chandler-Browne-Latimer-Canada

On Chandler and Canada. I
> thought that he traveled from California to Canada to enlist in the
Canadian
> military out of allegiance to England, but that he never lived long in
Canada
> and did not go to school there. Doug

a chandler biography i read some years ago mentioned that chandler was living in california when WWI broke out. wanting to answer the call for england, he travelled up the west coast to victoria, BC (my hometown!) to enlist in the canadian army. this really jumped out at me when i read it because of the connection to victoria. also seem to recall reading about an adaptation of "playback" (for film?), that included a speedboat chase set in the strait of juan de fuca, between victoria and port angeles, WA.

just a bit of intro: i've been reading/viewing and discovering hb/noir books & films for about ten years. i'm a paperback collector as well. most recent read in this vein was william p. mcgivern's "rogue cop", part of an omnibus that includes "the seven file" and "the darkest hour". also on the varied TBR pile is raoul whitfield "death in a bowl" (actually a re-read)...currently reading andrew garcia "tough trip through paradise", a first person montana 1878 memoir in a sort of perpetual dry-humoured style that includes plenty of hb quotient. at the moment my noir/hb sense is more with the "noir western" idea than the inner city PI.

it's great to discover a list with so many knowledgeable folks. thanks for all your ideas and inspiration!

-k.j. smith