RARA-AVIS: dissing vachss

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 18 Feb 2002

> "he had all kinds of cool gadgets, an ensemble cast of weirdos each with
> his or her own special skill, a complete loner for a protagonist, . . ."
>
> This is oen of the things that bugged me about this book and the series,
> by extension. How can Burke be even half the loner he envisions
> himself, while also having his steady surrogate family of weirdos? It's
> one or the other.

i believe it was bad company (joe dirt music) who sang, "i'm a loner but i'm never alone." ;-)

vachss is one of those writers who i really liked when i first read him, and i never minded his strange entourage. jews, blacks, gays, orientals. a fantas- tically politically correct set of friends. but notice that most of the criminals are rich white guys or white trash aryan supremists. my bottom line on him is that vachss is a politically correct racist. i could excuse that really... but his later novels become pious and preachy, and the last one i read (false allega- tions?? or something like that.) disgusted me with all that holier-than-thou attitude.

miker