RARA-AVIS: New to the list

From: Doug Hoffman, MD ( hoffmand@cc.northcoast.com)
Date: 18 Feb 2002

I'd like to introduce myself to the list. I just subscribed yesterday, haven't been lurking for weeks, so I don't have a feel for the list's population yet, but here goes.

I'm a 40-year-old ear, nose and throat doc living in Harbor, Oregon, a little coastal town right next to the California border. I have a wife and one son, age 6, as well as several tarantulas, poison dart frogs, and a couple of snakes. Oh, and two ferrets named Charlotte and Emily
(for the Brontes). I'm an aspiring author--I've been working on a novel for a little over a year, and I'm perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 finished with it. At the risk of getting tossed from the list, the story's in that weird hybrid class of noir science fiction, but I hope it will appeal to hard-boiled fans who won't get turned off by the science fiction window dressing.

I read a variety of stuff... in recent months I finished Tolkien's
_Fellowship of the Rings_ (liked the movie, but never could get into the Lord of the Rings when I was a kid), Carl Hiaasen's _Skintight_ (lots of fun, although a little too close to home for me), and Richard Stark's
_Firebreak_. I'll also read Terry Pratchett when I want something light. I recently bought a bunch of Library of America collections
(thank God for Amazon--we don't have a decent bookstore in this town!) and this morning finished Chandler's _Playback_. I'm wondering what the title meant... but otherwise, I loved it.

By the way, if any of the list members have any ear, nose and throat problems, I have a decent website with lots of articles posted about the common things we ENTs deal with. I don't answer many of the letters people send me, so if you do have an ENT question please put Rara-Avis in the subject line... my Delete finger tends to work pretty fast sometimes.

Thanks.

Doug Hoffman www.doctorhoffman.com