Re: RARA-AVIS: Travis McGee

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Feb 2002

--- George Pelecanos < shoedog1@erols.com> wrote:
> There was a longtime rumor that John D. MacDonald
> had written the final
> Travis McGee novel (with Black as its title color)
> before his death, then
> locked it in a safe, with instruction that the book
> be published
> posthumously. The other part of the rumor was that
> MacDonald would take
> McGee with him to the grave (McGee dies at the end
> of the book.) Has
> anybody heard any more about this?

Funny you should mention that rumor, George. I'd never heard it until today. It's brought up on Cal's site, and given what sounds like an authoritative debunking to me.

On the one hand, I'm glad--I'd hate to see Travis go. On the other, I'd like to see Travis back in action one more time, and I'd probably be willing to pay that price.

G.

P.S.--I got the last two McGee's today at my favorite book store. My collection is complete, although I still have plenty of stand-alones to track down.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/