Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: DEREK RAYMAOND

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 16 Feb 2002

Etienne wrote:

"go for his autobiography: THE HIDDEN FILES (1992) in which he does a lot more than just speaking of his life"

Actually, he speaks very little about the specifics of his life. It is not your conventional memoir. It is far more a book about the literature that influenced him and how it did. Fascinating stuff.

"And of course read his novels like the four of the "Factory" cycle, cycle ending with a masterpiece: I WAS DORA SUAREZ (1990)."

Actually, there are five. Dead Man Upright came after Suarez, but it is a bit of a comedown from that masterpiece.

"Or like: NIGHTMARE IN THE STREET (1988)"

I read a few years ago that this was finally going to come out in English. An excerpt was printed as a short story, in the first Fresh Blood anthology, I think. I never saw anything more about it. Does anyone know what's up with it?

Mark