RARA-AVIS: Philly, Robert Eversz, Jesse Sublett

From: Ann Chambers Theis ( theisa@co.chesterfield.va.us)
Date: 15 Feb 2002

I'm way behind on the various threads, but I don't recall anyone mentioning Jonathan King's book THE BLUE EDGE OF MIDNIGHT. This debut mystery (due out in April) is about Max Freeman, a former Philly cop who lives in Florida. The Florida setting is primary, but there are frequent references to Philly. King worked as a journalist in Philly now works for the Sun Sentinel.

I also wanted to mention KILLING PAPARAZZI (featuring "pop noir" heroine Nina Zero) by Robert Eversz. I actually haven't had a chance to read this yet since my husband snagged it the minute I brought it home - Mike has been excessively amused by the book. If you are interested in books with action packed plots, filled with sardonic wit and a featuring jaundiced view of Hollywood/L.A., you might want to get acquainted with Nina Zero. The reviews for KILLING PAPARAZZI have been very good. You can read reviews and an interview with Nina (channeled through Robert Eversz) at: http://www.overbooked.org/everszbooks.html

While I'm blatantly promoting writers I like, I'd like to mention that you can read a fairly recent article by Jesse Sublett ( he is working on a memoir ). The article is rather noirish in tone and is called "Rock & Roll Gothic" : http://www.overbooked.org/rockgothic.html

Ann

Ann Chambers Theis ~ theisa@co.chesterfield.va.us Collection Management Administrator, Chesterfield County Public Library (VA) Overbooked, a resource for ravenous readers - http://www.overbooked.org