Re: RARA-AVIS: Block, O'Hara, Maugham, Gil Brewer and Flannery O'Connor

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 15 Feb 2002

Richard, I've got to say that I'm with you (& Block) on all of the above
(although I've only read 2 O'Hara's, "Appointment at Samarra" & "Pal Joey") except for Maugham. Somehow, I've never been able to get into him, except for one short story whose title escapes me, about knocking off some German spy in the Swiss Alps, of which I've also seen a British film from the 1930's (?). That was quite moving. Now I'll just wait for you or someone else to tell me what a blockhead I am, & why :-) ....
(Yes, I hate these emoticons, too twee by half, but how else do you avoid unintentionally offending someone without long disclaimers, e.g.)
(& yeh, "A Killer is Loose" is something else, even for Gil Brewer. When is HE going to get some reprint action happening?)

Rene