Re: RARA-AVIS: Block, O'Hara, Maugham, Gil Brewer and Flannery O'Connor

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 14 Feb 2002

On 14 February 2002, Moorich2@aol.com wrote:

: In one, Block very smartly pointed out the contrast between O'Hara's
: fiction where relationships were so carefully explored and understood
: and the author's personal life where he was always feuding over
: imagined slights.

The exploration of relationships, does that show in Scudder and his friendships with Elaine, T.J., Mick Ballou, the AA sponsor and so on? They're very carefully handled, and they're what I like most about the books. I could see how the other writers affected his work, but it's been a long time since I read any O'Hara. I have three of his books on the shelf, though, and I should try one again.

Bill