Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler's passport

From: Scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 14 Feb 2002

In a message dated Wed, 13 Feb 2002 5:13:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Carrie Pruett" < pruettc@hotmail.com> writes:

> Didn't he grow up in Canada? I at least thought he was in the Canadian
> military for a while, or did I imagine that?
>
> Carrie
I think he went to Canada in order to join the First World War - and fight for the empire I suppose, when America was not involved in the war. This has come up before - Chandler's origins, I think he often referred to himself as Irish. I shall join the growing "What does it matter" chorus. Suffice to say an English Public School education, Irish lineage, American birth, Canadian military service and heavy drinker made for a fine fine writer. Americans with children, sign em up for Dulwhich (and take out a mortgage for the fees), pray for conflagrations involving Canadian troops, and start putting brandy in their milk. Best of British to you all Colin