Re: RARA-AVIS: jim's hb/noir definitions

From: Kerry ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 13 Feb 2002

At 01:54 PM 2/13/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Jim Doherty said:
>
>: Hardboiled is attitude. Noir is atmosphere. That which is tough and
>: colloquial, whatever the ending, is hardboiled. That which is dark and
>: sinister, whatever the ending, is noir. That which is tough and
>: colloquial and dark and sinister, whatever the ending, is both
>: hardboiled and noir.
>
>I think we should adopt this as our definition of these terms until
>something better comes along, if ever.

A good rule-of-thumb, with the presumption we're talking crime fiction. That which is without murder, is boring.

Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com