Re: RARA-AVIS: The Destroyer

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Feb 2002

--- abc@wt.net wrote:
> I agree with Scott about The Destroyer, a dandy
> series for the most part.
> But the first book is different. It's pretty much
> standard fare for the
> genre. The rest are different.

This is because there was something like an 8 year lag between the writing of Destroyer 1 and its publication. In it, for instance, Remo learns karate, which was a bit more mysterious at time of writing than at time of publication. Hence, Sinanju, the mysterious martial art of Korean assassins. There are some other important differences, also, but it's been a long time since I read the first in the series.

But Bill is right. They're different after that. Murphy has told me that his intent all along was to parody the genre while writing successful examples of it. Interesting, he thinks Robert B. Parker is doing the same thing (and he and Parker are pretty good friends, so who knows?).

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/