Re: RARA-AVIS: upbeat endings not hard boiled?

From: Rene Ribic (
Date: 13 Feb 2002

> Hardboiled is attitude.
> Noir is atmosphere.
> That which is tough and colloquial, whatever the
> ending, is hardboiled.
> That which is dark and sinister, whatever the ending,
> is noir.
> That which is tough and colloquial and dark and
> sinister, whatever the ending, is both hardboiled and
> noir.
> Hope I've made it clear. It's really not that
> complicated.

For what it's worth, I feel that Jim has put it succinctly & I agree completely. I don't care enough to argue about it but this sums up how I see the difference between the two. Maybe we could put this one to pasture now - the archives are full of discussions about this particular issue & Jim must be getting a little weary of repeating his point.