RARA-AVIS: THOSE sort of books

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 11 Feb 2002

I'm excited, again (what else is new?).I was checking out a charity stall that I regularly scan for old books when I heard one of the ladies saying "I've got all these Carter Brown books that belonged to my nephew. I didn't even know that he read THAT sort of stuff" as she was reaching into a bag & pulling out these books. "I do!" I said, shoving a couple of old ladies out of the way.The charity volunteer responded with an "oops" look on her face. The long & short of it : a bag of nearly 30 mostly slightly mouldy but still beautiful vintage pb's, UK & Australian. Mostly Erle Stanley Gardner*, a few C Browns including a couple of digests & a couple of one-offs - "The Tall Stranger" a Gold Medal Western by Louis L'Amour & "Bullets for the Bridegroom" by David Dodge. Does anyone have info about the L'Amour & Dodge books? By the way, isn't it amazing that half a century later these books still have an unsavoury reputation at least with people of that particular generation? The Oz & UK pb covers of the time were quite tame compared to the US equivalents, too.Oh, don't worry about those little old ladies I rumbled with. They can give it as well as take it. Talk about hard-boiled.
*Despite what (I think) David Honeybone may have said on this topic in an earlier discussion here, Gardner was phenomenally popular in Oz & if he, or James Cain, have ever been out of print it wasn't for very long & you could easily find 2nd hand copies.

Rene