RARA-AVIS: Chavarria

From: Msedano@aol.com
Date: 08 Feb 2002

I am enthralled by the luminous prose the translator fashions around Chavarria's story. It's on my list of to-dos to find the book in Spanish and confirm the style. Translation complicates a reader's appreciation for writing- probably affects the story too, though I suspect not as much. I note the humor before the toughness. Per the blurb, Chavarria's a Uruguayan, not Cubano, so I can't hold him accountable for his take on the revolution. I note, however, a pattern - from Habana Bay through Outcast through Adios Muchachos- of featuring prostitutes or at least giving them prominent play in the local color. Are visiting writers enchanted with the concept of la jinetera, or is this technique something not to be missed when visiting Havana?

mvs