RARA-AVIS: Re: See Tom Nolan

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 06 Feb 2002

Frederick wrote:

>Tom Nolan tells the story how Warren Zevon gives Ross Macdonald credit for
>directly intervening and saving his life. What makes the story great is the
>two men didn't know each other.

Well, they did actually meet at least twice, once at a very pivotal point in Zevon's life. Zevon, in fact, credits Macdonald with saving his life, and actually dedicates an album to him.

The story's recounted in a Paul Nelson article in Rolling Stone years ago, in Nolan's book and regurgitated in an article I did for January Magazine's Ross Macdonald Tribute a few years ago. You could look it up at http://www.januarymagazine.com/features/macsmith.html.

Of course, if you wanna really know about how truly decent Macdonald was, forget about my article and get it first hand, from Fred's fine article, "Have You Ever Thought about Doing Something Serious, Like Detective Fiction?" at http://www.januarymagazine.com/features/zackel.html

But you don't need Smith or Zackel or even Nolan to see what a great and compassionate (and half-Canadian!) writer Macdonald was. Just read the damn books.