RARA-AVIS: Jesse Sublett

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 05 Feb 2002

John Williams wrote:

>Other HB musician/writers - Jesse Sublett, bass player with many Austin
>bands, has written a couple of thrillers - anyone read them?

I have read all three Sublett mysteries titled in order Rock Critic Murders, Tough Baby and Boiled In Concrete. I don't remember much about the first one, but I must have liked it enough to pick up remaindered hardcovers of the other two in Waldenbooks in Grand Forks, N.D. Martin Fender is a full-time bass-playing vintage-suit-wearing musician in Austin, Texas. In a blurb for Tough Bay, James Ellroy calls Fender " a great, unique hard-boiled hero." Robert Parker, John Lutz and Bill Pronzini give Boiled in Concrete cover blurbs.

According to the Sept.-Nov 2001 newsletter from Uncle Edgar's Mystery Bookstore in Minneapolis, Sublett has written short novels that were be released in the fall. Below is the basic information.

Sublett & Chad Byers - Kill Spot and Jazz Man (two short crime novels) Sublett & Peter Zagare - I Love My Gun and Blue Movie (two short Los Angeles crime novels, Sublett's in modern LA and Zagare's in 1940s LA) Wayne Dundee & Sublett - Black Lake and Teflon Babe (two short hardboiled novels, one featuring Dundee's Joe Hannibal, the other with Sublett's Clapton)

Anyone come across them?

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg