RARA-AVIS: Momo, the Black Prince

From: Rene Ribic ( rribic@optusnet.com.au)
Date: 03 Feb 2002

The more I read about Sam "Momo" Giancana the more mythic proportions he takes on - he's been linked to such epochal events as the St Valentine's Day Massacre, the assassination of JFK, the suicide/murder of Marilyn Monroe he brought the Cosa Nostra into the numbers racket, briefly in partnership with black gangsters who initially used to run the racket previously ignored by Mob leaders as "nickel & dime" stuff - it was Momo who pointed out to the leadership how much these nickels & dimes would add up to.Just the story of the Mob's takeover of the numbers racket could provide material for an historical hb novellist such as Mosley or Ellroy. So far the most redeeming feature I've discovered about him is that he didn't like his sister being beaten by her husband (& he didn't kill the husband, just threatened to).