Re: RARA-AVIS: rene and mushy hardboiled

From: Anthony Dauer ( editor@adau.net)
Date: 02 Feb 2002

From: Michael Robison Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 10:06:26 -0800

> ... there's been a couple well-established classics
> which i just didn't like: thompson's _killer inside
> me_, and hammett's _red harvest_. and the question
> i've been rolling over is if i like most hardboiled,
> why didn't i like these two highly regarded novels,
> and i'm wondering if maybe its because they were
> missing this element.

Thompson's "Killer Inside Me" is noir not harboiled ... purely the criminal's view. No tarnished, slightly or otherwise, cynical hero. And I thought there was a bit of romance in "Red Harvest" ... albeit, the hardboiled variety but there nonetheless.

You don't have to like 'em all and just because you don't like some that are considered classic and definitive of the genres doesn't mean the lesser of you or your taste. Think of 'em as reference material if nothing more.

You can be a fan without being fanatical, obsessive, and/or anal about it.

--
Anthony Dauer
Alexandria, Virginia

Judas ... a stretch of the mean streets on the web
http://www.adau.net/judas_ezine/ -- -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .